Thursday, August 21, 2014

Galloping Gerty

We had a wonderful week with our two grandsons...oh, yes, and their parents.  We celebrated both of the boys' birthdays...more than once each.  I don't know about Josiah and Judah, but I certainly feel older. 

Now we are on the road heading back home. Today was the day I dread most when driving this route.  The reason, of course, is Los Angeles.  There is no way I know of to avoid going through the Los Angeles Metro area, when traveling from San Diego to Oregon, except to go north on 395.  We opted not to do that, because of the heat inland.  Consequently, we spent the better part of the day wending our way through the maze of (ironically named) freeways  until we came out on the north end headed for Ventura.

Now, the trip could have been easier, except that I angered our Gerty (the Garmin Nuvi GPS). She wanted to route me over a toll road from south of L.A. to Long Beach.  When I refused to take the ramp for the toll road. Gerty was fuming.  She decided to get even and directed us up I5.  When we came to the exit for I405, which I knew I should take, she kept directing us up I5.  Like a chump, I fell for it.

After a few miles, though, I decided, with the help of my navigator and beautiful bride, to take the 91 across to the 405, which got us back on track, but added about 40 miles to our trip.  Gerty pouted and sniveled a bit, but in the end, I got my way, and we made our way up the 101 along the coast through vineyards and oceanfronts until we arrived at the RV Ranch in Paso Robles. This is a lovely park with grass and trees and reasonably level gravel sites, full hook-ups and a very friendly and helpful hostess.

So, I sat down to blog, while my lovely bride and I enjoy a cold brew.  Tomorrow is my second nightmare about this route, transiting the San Francisco Bay area.  I'll let you know how that all turns out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment