Monday, June 6, 2016

American History carved in stone

Today we fulfilled an item on our bucket list and visited the Mt. Rushmore National Monument. I don't suppose that I can add much to the things that everyone already knows about the monument. It was fun to see it in person. The story of the construction of the monument is fascinating, and as I told Jill, it is good to see such a monument, because it gives us a reason to pause and reflect on the amazing nation in which we live. The rest of the story I will leave to a few photos.

Gutzon Borglum was a Danish immigrant who believed the 
monument should pay tribute to the men  and the vision that made America great.

 



It was a perfect day for photographing the monument.









I always wondered why Teddy Roosevelt was included with Washington, Jefferson (Founding Fathers) and Lincoln (the Great Emancipator). The text below explains the sculptor's reasoning, which I find very sound. 




No comments:

Post a Comment