Saturday, October 5, 2013

Test Drive

We finally had time enough to put Topper on the new pickup, which we have dubbed Red Ryder.  Here are some photos:
 This was taken by Syd Dorn on the day we purchased Red Ryder

 Here is Topper aboard Red Ryder this morning.

When we took a test drive yesterday, I kept hearing a kind of creaking noise. I couldn't figure out what it was until this morning, when I removed Topper from the bed of the pickup.  It turns out, the roof of the pickup is higher than our previous pickup, so the camper was sitting directly on the roof.  Unfortunately, there are a few little spots where the paint got rubbed off the top of the truck.  I will get some touch up paint and take care of that. In the meantime, I am considering options for raising the camper up about an inch to provide clearance. 

Other than that little problem, I was very pleased with the way the package performs.  It hardly feels like there is a camper on the truck, when driving. I had none of the sense of being overloaded that I had with the Silverado. I think this will work just fine, once I solve the clearance problem. The obvious solution is to put something under the camper. What to use and how to secure it are the questions. My first thought was a sheet of plywood, but that would be rather heavy.  My second thought was to lay some 2X2s in the bed of the truck, but I am afraid the camper would slide on them. I may have to fasten 2X2s to the bottom of the camper.  I guess I will query the guys on the RV forum.  Come back. I will post the solution, when I figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment