Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The best laid plans of mice and men...

When I was director of a sizable dental office, staffed by seven dentists and about twenty support staff, part of my duties included preparing a budget each year. Fortunately, I had a great deal of help from people who knew a great deal more about budgeting a multimillion dollar operation than I did. One of the things I learned during that season of my life was posted above my desk on a sign that read:

“Forecasting is very difficult, especially when it deals with matters of the future.”

I can only commiserate with the meteorologists among us, including the one who predicted sunny weather for today. In fact, we have had moments of sunshine, and perhaps, I was expecting too much. Here's what we got. FOG! Lots and lots of fog, until about 1:30PM, was followed by sunshine for about half an hour, followed by overcast skies.

In fairness, we did have sunshine. The temperature got to the forecast level, around 60 degrees, and we have had a wonderful time walking in the woods with the dogs, and enjoying Champoeg with a paucity of other campers. The dogs loved the hike, as evidenced by the fact that they are currently sacked out on the sofa, snoozing.

So here's what we saw: 
 Even in late October, God provides a few flowers to brighten our path. 

The old blogger needs to learn to do selfies well enough that he can remember to smile! That's the Willamette River in the background. 

Here's one of the little shacks that sit along the river's edge. 
Can you say "acer macrophyllum?" That's "big leaf maple" to most of us.
Don't know if this is a single family dwelling or some kind of lodge. Either way, it is impressive.
A cathedral like forest path.  We love this place. 
 My lovely bride said, "He looks like a fun guy [or was it fungi?]."

 Here's his cousin.

Come back again. I'll see if I can find more to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment