Monday, October 26, 2015

Time to try out the new goodies.


On Friday, I finished installing a new skylight to replace the one that leaked on our last outing to Cape Kiwanda. Now, several weeks have elapsed in between times, but it was all worth the wait.

When we returned from Cape Kiwanda, I did some online shopping for a new skylight. I finally found what appeared to be just the ticket at EZ Tops Worldwide. I placed an order for a new bronze-tone, lexan skylight...and then we waited...and waited...and waited. Notice I didn't say we waited patiently. It took three weeks for the skylight to be fabricated. I was beginning to wonder if the company had taken my money and gone to Tahiti.

Finally, I called and was told that the skylight would be shipped that very day. I figured, “OK, another week, and I will be able to install the thing.” The gentleman I spoke with in Maine, yes, you read right, Maine, said he was shipping the skylight via Priority Mail with good ol' USPS. That was on last Tuesday. The package arrived on Thursday, and as I mentioned, I installed it on Friday.

“Now, can we go camping?” queried my bride.

“Yes, Dear,” I replied. “Where would you like to go.”

We settled on Champoeg State Park, which is less than an hour from home, but one of our favorite camp grounds. There are miles of walking trails, a frisbee golf course, a dog park and a beautiful landscape, situated along the Willamette River, just a few miles south of Portland.

So, yesterday, we packed up our gear. I took a little time to reconfigure the wiring for the backup camera, so that I can see to back up the camper. Earlier this year, I installed a backup cam on Red Ryder. It works great, except when Topper is mounted, all the backup camera could see was the underside of Topper's back end. Not helpful for backing into a parking space.

When we got Topper, one of the first things I did was to install a rearview camera above the door on the backend. I have enjoyed having that camera, so I know what the drivers behind me are up to. So, before this trip, I figured out how to tap the rearview camera into the wiring for the backup camera. Now when I put Red Ryder in reverse, I see a commanding view of the area behind me, instead of Topper's underside.

OK, now you have the latest on all the updates I have done. We left the house today and had a gorgeous drive through Perrydale, Amity, Dayton, Dundee and Newberg and finally arrived at Champoeg. We had no reservation, so we were glad to see the “VACANCY” sign at the park entrance. We drove around both loops to find the perfect place to park. Here is the view from our campsite:
And the tree across the road from our campsite:
 
 Pogo loves camping, especially when it involves lying on the grass in the sunshine. 

Here we are, then. The camp host stopped by and we chatted with her for quite some time. She has a fascinating personal history to share. Tomorrow's weather is forecast to be splendid, so we will no doubt do some hiking with the doggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment