Monday, December 21, 2015

OK, it's official...

...I hate driving into a 20 mph headwind more than I hate driving in rain.  We had a lovely stay at The Aurora RV park on Clear Lake.  The only sounds we heard in the night were the gentle lapping of the lake on the shore and some light rain showers on the roof. I think I almost got caught up on my sleep deficit from the previous night.

By the time we left The Aurora, it was pretty steadily raining.  We drove along the north shore of the lake, which is spectacular and reminded me of my youthful days spent on the shores of Hood Canal, in Washington State.  When we got to the east end of the lake, we were sad to have the scenery change to a lot of charred trees from the wild fires of last summer.  We wound through the hills which are eerily beautiful, made the more so by a lot of charred remains of trees scattered everywhere.

Eventually, we made it to the valley floor and discovered that, true to forecast, there was a strong southerly wind blowing. We were headed east at this time, so it was a strong cross wind.  In case you hadn't noticed, Topper has a lot of unreefable sail area that was presented to that wind. I told myself things would be better when we were headed into the wind...WRONG!!  Heading south on I5, we found the head wind most daunting.  In order to avoid blowing the camper off the truck and to conserve fuel, I drove at 55 mph.  Even the semis were passing us.

This went on until we were well south of the bay area.  There was a little rain from time to time, but if I had to choose, give me rain every time over a headwind. Eventually, the wind abated and we made it to the Almond Tree RV Park in Coalinga.  It is a nice enough park, kind of in the middle of nowhere, with an older, nicer section mainly occupied by residents, and a newer plainer section for us transients.  But the space is level and has all the amenities we need, and it will do very nicely, thank you.  And the wind is NOT blowing. Did I mention there is no wind?

Tomorrow, we take on the Grapevine over the mountains into Los Angeles and the transit to San Diego. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment