Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Magellan eat your heart out!

Ol' Ferdinand may have circumnavigated the world, but we circumnavigated the lake at 370 Lakeside Park! There is a paved walking path around the lake, which, according to the dope we found is 5.5 miles long! We expect the dogs to give us very little difficulty for the rest of the day.  Lulu's legs are approximately 6" long, so imagine how many steps she took.  Pogo, who loves to hike but is less able to get around, what with arthritis and a kneecap that pops out of joint occasionally and cataracts that render her almost blind, had a great time and made it all the way around with nary a whimper.

So, the dogs are good for the day. We plan to make a Costco run later and also to fill one of our propane tanks that has lasted us the whole trip so far.  In theory, we shouldn't need to fill up again, since we are about halfway through our trip, but I prefer to run on the top half of the fuel tank, both in the truck and in the trailer.

We are so grateful we made this stop. After three days in Branson, we needed some exercise, and so did the dogs.  This is the perfect spot, because the paths are paved, which makes for easy walking for us geezers.

 The hardwood forest surrounding the lake. We have 
been unable to determine the name of the lake.

Looking back at the campground from across the lake.

Dardenne Creek runs along the north side of the park. The 
whole area is a protected wetland, so it will remain pristine. 

2:15 PM
After a short rest. We made our Costco run and picked up a few things that we needed to restock the trailer. Yum! Costco roasted chicken for dinner!! Can't wait. 

After the Costco run, Jill got busy doing some laundry, and I went to work with some equipment maintenance.  Yesterday, just as we arrived, the rear view camera on the trailer stopped working. That made backing in to our space a little challenging. So, assuming the worst, I went to work cutting apart the joints in the cable at the back end or the trailer. I checked voltages and resistances and everything looked pretty normal, but I still couldn't get a picture on the screen.  Just when I was about to give up, I remembered that wires have two ends.  I checked the cable connections under the dash, and sure enough, the video cable connectors had separated. I plugged them back together, and voila! we have a picture again.  With some electrical tape and zip ties, I was able to secure the video cable so that problem should not recur.

After the video camera repair, I got out my trusty compressor and went to work making sure all the tires have enough air.  All the truck tires and one of the trailer tires needed a little inflating, which only took a few minutes.  I have been struggling with my tire pressure monitor system.   A couple of the sending units seem to cut out on a rather too regular basis. I may need to replace them when we get home.

The last load of laundry will be done soon, thanks to my blushing bride.  Then we will head for the gas station for a propane refill. That will complete our day's tasks, and we can relax under the awning, where I am writing this.  All in all, it has been a good day and a productive day.  Even we vagabonds need some of those days from time to time.

Tomorrow we head for Evansville, IN, where we plan to see the recent remodeling that has been done at the seminary I attended. We will have dinner with the president of the University and his wife tomorrow evening. The amazing thing about that stop is that I called the municipal campground to see if they have space, and the manager of the park said that they have space, and since we are only staying one night, there will be no charge! She called it a road courtesy. Now that is what I call Hoosier hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment