Thursday, May 12, 2016

Well, shut my mouth!

I know that is an old aphorism that comes from further south and  is probably not used anywhere anymore, but it aptly describes my reaction to Oklahoma.  It is amazing how stereotypes hang on.  Oklahoma is not miles of sage brush with nothing but oil wells and cattle ranches. It is absolutely beautiful; at least the I40 corridor from Texas to OKC is.  And OKC itself is wonderful.

We are staying in a beautiful park, called Twin Fountains RV Park, just north of the city. The park sits on a hillside, and it is heavily treed with wide swaths of grass between the level, concrete pad sites.  We have adequate wi-fi and good cable TV, so we can't complain about primitive amenities.

As I was finishing setting up the trailer, a fellow stopped by to say how much he likes it.  I stopped and chatted with him for a good long time. As it happens, he lives in Branson, MO, our next scheduled stop.  Jack gave me a bunch of pointers about Branson, and we discovered that we are both Christ followers.  He told me that he is in need of a new pickup to pull his newly acquired trailer.  That was my opening to recommend my friend and auto broker, Syd Dorn.

A little while later, Jack told me that he had been praying a few minutes ago about how he was going to find a truck. "Then," he said, "I just happened to stop and compliment you on your trailer, and you connect me with Syd."  We agreed it was a God thing.

Jack eventually left after a long, enjoyable conversation.  I finished my work and went inside to sit and relax.  A few minutes later, there was a knock on our door. It was Jack, who had brought his wife to meet us and show her our trailer.  Well, Jill and Jeannie hit it off as quickly as Jack and I had.  We stood outside and chatted with them for about an hour!  Well, shut my mouth! Literally!

So, we are finding that Jill was right when she predicted we would meet more people with our little Retro trailer, because people just can't not like it! It's kind of in the same category as a chick magnet, only it's a magnet for aging RVers...a fogie magnet!?

So far, Oklahoma City has been nothing but fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment