Sunday, May 1, 2016

Who knew New Mexico?

Today was a travel day.  We moved from Tucson, AZ to Las Cruces, NM.  The trip was informative for both of us.  We had had the mistaken notion that most of Arizona and New Mexico amounted to nothing more than miles and miles of sand (read: desert).  Well, we have been disabused of that notion.

Our route was along I10 all the way into Las Cruces. There are few other ways to get here from Tucson. Nevertheless, we were treated to a variety of terrains and some interesting sights along the way.

Jill took this pic and said, "And you thought Big Sky country was in Montana." 
I told her she should get a job as a wallpaper photographer for Microsoft. 
The rock formations were varied and fascinating. If I were into geology, 
I would research how they were formed, but I'm not.

Jill was particularly taken with these "balanced" rocks. 

  
Here's a typical hill/knoll/mountain along this route.

Jill took this one after we saw several signs indicating that dust storms frequently 
occur in southern New Mexico.  You can see how hazy it is in the distance.  
We were grateful not to have to deal with diminished visibility today.

Sand dunes and camels?  I don't think so. This is not what I expected to see in the Arizona desert.
  
We passed numerous nut orchards (no they didn't take us to the nut farm) in New Mexico.

Rolling into Las Cruces, we were surprised to see such a large city in such a green valley. 

This evening we are parked at the Sunny Acres RV Park, which we found with our RVParky phone app. It is a beautiful park...all except for the space we are in, which resembles nothing so much as a gravel parking lot. That's what I get for NOT making a reservation in advance.  I think Jill has forgiven me, but I will try to get a better space in the next park. 

Stay tuned and see what we discover in Las Cruces tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment